Juvederm Voluma XC
Recently approved by the FDA and now available to consumers in the U.S., JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC is a hyaluronic acid-based dermal filler containing small quantities of lidocaine, an anesthetic designed to reduce discomfort at the site of the injection.
Developed using VYCROSS™ technology that allows production of a filler formulated with lower molecular weight (90 percent) hyaluronic acid, JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC exhibits high viscosity properties that promotes retention of molecular structure following injection into the epidermis. This enhances its ability to volumize hollow areas and firm sagging skin emerging around the cheeks and mid-facial area due to aging, illness, weight loss or loss of bone density.
What is JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC Injectable Gel?
Additional benefits provided by JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC include:
- Results that last longer than other dermal fillers because of the filler’s improved resistance to degeneration induced by enzymes and free radicals existing in the skin.
- Cohesiveness and molecular strength of JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC offers consistency in expectations of desired results to provide exceptional customer satisfaction.
- Reduced molecular weight of JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC enhances malleability so that superior contouring effects are achieved without the swelling and discomfort associated with other dermal fillers.
- Other dermal fillers containing hyaluronic acid that are currently available are “granular” consistency fillers that do not exhibit the smoothness and hydration found in JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC
The primary difference between regular Juvederm fillers and the new JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC is the molecular weight of the hyaluronic acid, which makes Juvederm Ultra perfect for wrinkles but inadequate for restoring lost cheek volume and facial contours. Ultimately, customers opting for JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC receive the maximum support necessary to experience optimal skin volumizing and rejuvenation.
Why Does VYCROSS™ Technology Work So Well to Volumize?
By formulating JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC with less but more effectively cross-linked hyaluronic acid, VYCROSS™ technology presents an easily injected, smoother dermal filler gel that provides a long-lasting and natural appearance with decreased incidences of swelling, bruising or redness. By integrating more readily with sensitive facial skin, JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC eliminates the potential for temporary lumpiness that sometimes occurs with other injectable fillers.
What to Expect With a JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC Injection
Since both sides of the face will need at least one injection of JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC, your Mayoral Dermatologist specialist will wait a moment before giving you a second injection so that the lidocaine can begin numbing the site of the initial injection. The specialist will continue injecting small amounts of the filler until expected results are achieved and the patient is satisfied with the outcome of the session.
A usual treatment session takes less than 45 minutes. Afterwards, clients can resume normal activities with one or two considerations regarding level of physical activity.
What Happens Following Treatment with JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC?
Temporary side effects emerging from JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC injections include swelling, firmness and tenderness that may last from two to four weeks following treatment.
During the first 24 hours of being treated with JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC, people should reduce vigorous physical activity and avoid exposing themselves to extensive heat or sunlight. Exposure to these things may exacerbate swelling and induce itching at the site of the injection. Application of ice may help swelling by constricting blood vessels in the area as well.
Safety Information Supplied by the Makers of JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC
- Allergan, the company behind Juvederm dermal fillers, advises against using JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC if a patient has a history of suffering severe allergic reactions or is allergic to gram-positive bacterial proteins or lidocaine.
- Taking aspirin or ibuprofen may increase bleeding or bruising at the injection site
- All procedures involving skin injections carry a risk of infection.
- Studies concerning the safety of JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC in pregnant or breastfeeding women have not been completed.
- JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC can be safely used on ethnic skin. However, people with hyperpigmentation or scarring issues will need to consult with a Mayoral Dermatology before deciding to undergo volumizing with this new kind of dermal filler.
Prior to providing a client with JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC, a Mayoral Dermatology specialist will carefully assess the health of the client and request a detailed medical history to determine whether the client may not be a suitable candidate for this type of dermal filler treatment. According to Allergan’s website, JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC has not been tested on subjects older than 65. Consequently, our dermatologists may suggest an alternative facial volumizer for older clients or clients younger than 21 years old.